I have waited a long time to share with you the amazing Messianic prophecies God has given us in Scripture. One day I realized God had placed before us in the Old Testament His own case for who the Messiah would be. He did this by giving specific prophecies over 2,000 years to the Jewish prophets in the Hebrew Scriptures.
Think of these Messianic prophecies as clues in a mystery that identifies “Mr. X” God is sending to earth in the future. On television this month we will present 16 to 20 prophecies that clearly identify the Messiah in the Hebrew Scriptures (Jewish scholars have cited over 500 passages that refer to the Messiah; Protestant scholars identify 125 direct prophecies).
Maybe you have never studied these prophecies because you believed it was too difficult to comprehend. I understand that feeling. That is why I have produced these programs entitled, “16 Prophecies That Prove Jesus Is the Messiah—Part 1” (four programs) and “16 Prophecies That Prove Jesus Is the Messiah—Part 2” (four additional programs).I believe they will helpyou clearly understand what God has said. Remember, our ministry is focused on apologetics (defending the Christian faith).
These prophecies are clear proof of the existence of God—because no one else has ever given this kind of information hundreds and even thousands of years in advance with perfect accuracy. Further, they also clearly identify Jesus as the only One who could be the Messiah.
In the New Testament Jesus clearly taught that He was the Messiah. Jesus told two of His followers on the road to Emmaus, “‘How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Christ [Messiah] have to suffer these things and then enter His glory?’ And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself” (Luke 24:25-27).
The Prophecies We Will Examine in “Part 1”
- Who is the seed—the male offspring—of the woman who will crush the head of Satan in the future (Genesis 3:15)?
From the seed of the woman any possible man could be the Messiah.
- Who did Noah prophesy would someday come and live in the tents of Shem, and dwell among the Semites (Genesis 9:26)?
Only from among the tents of Shem (the Semites), did God say He would come and dwell; all others are excluded.
- Who is the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob that will bless all the nations (Genesis 12:2-3; 22:18)?
From Abraham’s descendants one will come to bless all the earth.
He would be from Isaac, not Ishmael (Genesis 26:2-4).
He would come from Jacob, not Esau (Genesis 28:13-14).
- Who is the one that God promises to invest with the scepter of ruling—and the obedience of the nations will be his (Genesis 49:10)?
- Who is the “prophet like Moses” of whom God says you must listen to him (Deuteronomy 18:15)?
- Who is the one who is David’s “Lord” and is also David’s future son who is invited to sit at God’s right hand (Psalm 110:1)?
- Who is the one crucified (Psalm 22)?
- Who is the child born as God with an everlasting kingdom (Isaiah 9:6-7)?
The Prophecies We Will Examine in “Part 2”
- Who was the one pierced for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed (Isaiah 53:5)?
- Upon whom did the Lord lay the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53:6)?
- Who was the one God sent to be “cut off from the land of the living for the transgression of my people, who was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth” (Isaiah 53:9)?
- Who is the righteous branch, the wise King, who will be called “the Lord our righteousness” (Jeremiah 23:5-6)?
- Who is the “one like a Son of man” who was given authority, glory, and sovereign power over all peoples of every language (Daniel 7:13)?
- Who is the Anointed One to be “cut off” after 483 years (Daniel 9:24-27)?
- Who is the One who is eternal, who will be the ruler over Israel, who is born in Bethlehem Ephrathah (Micah 5:2)?
- Who is the Lord, “the one they have pierced,” for whom Jerusalem and all the nation of Israel will weep and mourn (Zechariah 12:10)?
My guests for this important series include Hebrew scholar Dr. Walter Kaiser and New Testament scholar Dr. Darrell Bock. Dr. Kaiser is President Emeritus and Distinguished Professor of Old Testament at Gordan-Conwell Theological Seminary. Dr. Bock serves as Senior Research Professor of New Testament Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary.
Our Offer This Month
This month, I highly recommend you request and study the information in these programs. “16 Prophecies That Prove Jesus Is the Messiah—Part 1” (four programs) is available for a gift of $49. “Part 2” (four programs) is also available for $49.
We have also written two new study guides with extensive notesthat parallel our television series.Each study guideincludes four sessionsand is available for a gift of $8 dollars each, or five or more copies for $5 each. The two television series plus the two study guides are available together in a special package for $99.
Coming Soon on the John Ankerberg Show
This month I also had the privilege of spending time with Faith Comes By Hearing director Morgan Jackson. Our growing partnership continues to expand, now featuring 829 languages of the Bible in text and audio available for free at JAshow.org.
In total, more than 5.7 billion people can now access the Bible in written and audio form through these translations. This now includes more than 80% of the world’s population.
We’re in This Together
I am grateful for your support.Your gifts are helping change lives. This includes friends like Afshan in Iran (name changed) who wrote, “I watch your program with the windows shut and sound low. You have helped me very much in my understanding of Jesus.” Forced to watch in secret, God is using your prayers and generosity to help us reach her and many others in similar situations. Could you help me this month to continue serving Afshan and others like her?
Please know that our ministry needs your financial help during these summer months. Would you be able to send a financial gift to help? Thank you in advance.
Dr. John Ankerberg