What is saving faith?
By: The John Ankerberg Show
| The media player is loading…
|Saved for Sure, Overcoming Doubt: How do you overcome those doubts, to be brought to the point where you say, “Yes, I know it’s okay. I’m going to Heaven.” For Doubters Only: There are still some people who have a tough time in having confidence in their salvation. What do those folks need to do? Dr. Erwin Lutzer’s personal testimony.
Copyright: 2003, Number of Programs: 4, Cat. No. YBS2
Keywords: Christ alone, Assurance, Holy Spirit, John 6:37-40, John 3:36, John 1:12
- Lutzer: There’s a second kind of false faith and that’s a general belief in Christ.
- Ankerberg: Right.
- Lutzer: “Oh, I believe in Jesus. Yes.”
- “Do you believe that He died for sinners?”
- “Yeah. I kind of believe that.” You know, a casual kind of faith, and the reason that is not saving faith is because, you know, Luther was right when he said we have to descend into hell before we can ascend into Heaven – unless there’s an understanding of our sinfulness and a recognition as to why what Jesus did on the cross is so necessary. There’s nothing casual about a person who puts faith in Christ. He is trusting Christ with his eternal destiny, with his soul, and somebody who generally believes in Jesus but it’s a casual faith, that kind of a faith is spurious.
- Now, in addition to that, there’s a thousand other false faiths, too; people who are into other religions, people who are into the New Age Movement and so forth. We can’t even get into those. We’re just simply talking about those who affirm Christianity and still have a false faith.