Fact a Day: November 23rd - Ankerberg Theological Research Institute, John Ankerberg Show

Fact a Day: November 23rd

The Facts on Psychic Readings (Harvest House, 1997), p. 20

 

How accurate are psychic readings and does scientific testing disprove psychic abilities?

 

The problem with psychic readings is that they often aren’t accurate. This is simply a fact: Seeking out psychic readings then, is really a form of metaphysical gambling. There’s a small chance you will win but a much larger chance you will lose.

The clients of psychics, like gamblers generally, are optimistic about the possibilities. They want to believe that the positive answers they hear about their future will prove true. However, if people realized that psychics were mostly wrong, they would then understand that trusting them is foolish. To get mostly incorrect answers on important areas in life is hardly going to improve one’s life.

Indeed, if people actually examined the overall record of psychic predictions, they would never ask a psychic anything. Granting the best overall success rate for psychics at 25 percent still leaves us receiving false or bad information 75 percent of the time. The difficulty is that psychics offer more information than just predictions. They may offer commonsense advice, learn to generalize effectively, or offer enough true insights to keep most customers interested. Because psychics deal with people on a regular basis, they learn how to “read” people more effectively and can pick up on clients’ moods, concerns, and needs.

Share

Previous Day >